One of the more active groups in the Wichita area is the 52 Crew, a group of hams of all ages and all levels of experience from Technician, General and Extra Class Amateur. They can almost always be found on 146.520 FM in the evenings conversing on just about any topic – from the politically incorrect to more technical discussions about radios, antennas, station grounding, HOA’s and more.
Whether you are a new technician or an experienced operator and you’re looking for local rag chew and nightly discussions then you are in the right place at 146.520 MHz.
I discovered this group pretty early after getting my Technician license. I was monitoring the 2 meter National Calling Frequency (146.520 MHz) one day when I met Jacob (W9JAG) who informed me of the group and its informal meetings held each Saturday morning at the local candy store (RadioShack in Derby). I began monitoring the evening rag chew that ranged from a friendly teasing to more technical discussions. Since I was new and still learning, I threw out a few questions to the group and was happy to receive some great help from other members. I have since become a regular to the group and meet many face-to-face on Saturday mornings at the “Shack”.
I believe we’re real fortunate here in Wichita to have a place for hams to gather and explore the shelves of one of the few RadioShack’s left. It’s owners, Mark Brecheisen (KBØMOF) and Shawn Hadipour (KBØMNY), open it’s doors to local hams every Saturday morning giving an opportunity to ragchew, share and learn more about the hobby, demonstrate restored radios, meet some interesting people, and down a few doughnuts with a cup of coffee. If you’re in the area next Saturday morning, stop on by 707 North Baltimore in Derby.
If you’re a new Technician operator or more experienced ham, you’re invited to join in the on-air conversation anytime. Don’t be afraid to key the mic and throw out your call sign. Don’t worry about interrupting an ongoing conversation. Just wait for a pause in the conversation and say your call sign. Somebody will most likely recognize you, ask you to introduce yourself and invite you to join in the conversation. This is a friendly group of hams who welcomes everyone to join in. Just relax, be courteous and have fun.
Some of the crazy topics we’ve talked about on 52 include:
- Contacting International Space Station with HT
- Double Bazooka antennas
- Delta Loop antennas
- Mike’s Mailbox Dilemma
- Ms. Piggy
- Wink and a Nod
- Robert’s Long-term Unemployment and Job Fairs
- Coy Getting Stuck on Roof
- Suggesting to people to Raise left hand and right foot to improve reception.
- Discussion about the NortonTube and Ferbozo Modulator
- Heavy technical discussions about various antennas, radios, and other gear
- Pour, don’t dip
- COVID-19 Coronavirus
- KC2IOV, Jeanne Socrates World Record Setting Sail updates
- The Deplorables
- Ham radio give-aways to new operators short on funds
- Remote camera in back of mailbox that “growls”when the door opens.
- Amputee climbing tower and losing his prosthetic leg, leaving him stranded up the tower.
- Coy drilling a 3/16 hole in his finger. When Pam put antiseptic cream in the wound, it squirted out the other side
- Teaching blind people how to solder
- Gipsy swallowing nuts, bolts, screws, and 20 dollar bills.
- Coy digs his tower hole about twice the size it needed to be
- Conversations about our dogs, Gipsy, Trixie, Boomer, Jasper, Toby, Sophie, Jessie, Miss Perfect
- Politics, politics, and more politics
- Oreo cookie doggie treats
- Moe’s lobotomy shots
- Walt’s terror cat, Garfield
- Conceal Carry Permits
- The Streaker outside Moe’s house talking into his hat.
- Poo and toilet games
Listed below are some of the folks we consider the nightly 52 Crew. There are many others around the area that join in from time to time but these are the more regular… in no particular order.
|KC0IJH – Jeff||K0DVY – Zack||WM0MC – Mike||KC0DZP – Rob|
|W0ZWS – Coy||KC0HFL – Bob||KE0GAF – Harold||KE0KAB – Raeleen|
|KD0MPB – Todd||K0JDH – JD||N0EIT – Andrew||KC0WHI – Jim|
|KD5SYQ – Jennifer||KC5UNP – Russell||W0KRD – Ken||KC0MHD – Larry|
|K0VAB – Vic||KB0MOE – Moe (Don)||KC0POW – Gracy||KC0WEB – Stewart|
|KE0IOO – Bill||KE0MXH – Cheryl||N0JAG – Jacob||KC0EMK- David|
|W0ZZT – Gary||KD0LXD – Brad||K0NXM – Sterling||KD0YLE – Don|
|KE0IOU – David||KE0JYU – Randy||K0WDO – Will||KE0SCN – Tammy|
|N1CRA – Clayton||KD0DNU – Derek||N0PXJ – Carl||KD0LGT – David|
|KE0KQN – Jim||KB0CYG – Joe||KC0VYJ – Robert||KD0WAT – Wayne|
|KD0MXW – Brad||N6ZOP – Roger||K0BIL – Bill||K0BQB – Gary|
|KE0HOO – Gordon||KE0IOM – Peter||KE0JNN – Daniel||KG7YRC – Tom|
|K0ZIM – Dennis||K5TBO – Terrence||N0WHC – Greg||N0JHD – Wayne|
|WB0LFH – Harold||W0IPB – Jim||W0WKS – Don||W0SLH – Mike|
|W0YYZ – Craig||W6APB – Brian||KE0PVI – Russell||KE0PRB – Dustin|
|KB0MOF – Mark||W5GEH – Glenn||KD0KOD – John||KE0QPG – Gaylen|
|N0MUA – David||KE0PRB – Dustin||K0SRZ – Chris||KE0MBB – Matt|
|KD0GKF – Phillip||KE0VII – Doug||KE0VIL – Bill||KE0TGA – Patricia|
|K0DLM – Dave||W0REM – Rodney||NG0K – Andrew||KC0UFZ – Greg|
|N6TOL – Mike||N0MUA – Dave||KB9TZR – Chad||KD0KCM – Mike|
|W0HR – Mike||AE0AS – Mike||KD0LAS – Troy||N0QIX – Bob|
|W8LM – Larry||KC0ZRY – Pat||WD0DXV – Ron||KA7SIF – Jon|
|KE0KAE – Ed||KD0LXD – Brad||KE0ZUS – Hanna||KA0AAM – Dwayne|
|K0TRN – John||KF0APT – Jim||K0ZEB – Zeb||KC0EMK – Dave|
|KC0FKI – Chris||KF0BFU – Michael||KF0CKN – Matt||N0NZG – Jeremy|
|N0LRA – Nelson||KF0CZM – Elijah||KC4HAY – Ron||WA5LSH – Tracie|
|KW0MEG – Meg||KC0TI – Charlie|
Following are Silent Keys
|N0RAB – Roland|
|K0AQB – Walt|